This is a story that I've been following over the last several months, as I have a case involving the health effects of mold. According to SEArk Today, mold was found throughout the Drew County Courthouse in late April, and it was making some of the employees sick. One employee reported a sore throat, coughing, and pain in her chest. A later report estimated the cleanup cost at $2.5 million.
The U of A's Cooperation Extension Service has a good white paper on mold here. It discusses the causes of mold growth, its potential hazardous health effects, and how to clean it up. The uptake is that you should prevent moisture, and any resulting mold growth, if at all possible, because it isn't safe to live in a home with high levels of mold.